Advanced (A1/A2) Class and Weekly Dance
Learn and Dance Advanced (A1/A2)
- Have FUN!
- Learn Advanced, the DWC way.
- Reignite the excitement you felt when you first started to learn square dance!
- Improve your Mainstream/Plus.
If you have any interest in Advanced whatsoever...
Get on our list. Let us know even if the days/times are inconvenient. We will try to make accommodations. We want to hear from you!
- Christopher Schlitter (and Ri-Shea!)
- Schlitter home in West Cary
- 7:00 - 9:30 p.m. - Wednesdays - Dance Night
- Saturday Blast, date to be decided by participants.
- At the first Blast (9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.) you will learn most of A1.
- Then you will dance only that level on Wednesday nights until you become confident. At that point, we will schedule another Blast to teach you the next batch of calls. Then it is back to dancing on Wednesday nights. If another Blast is needed to finish A2, we will schedule that only after you are confident with all the calls to date.
- $ 5.00 per person - or -
- 1 Multi-Pass Point. Attendance via Multi-Pass is at least a 20% discount and can reach 50% or more!
- Saturday Blast is $15.00 (or 3 Multi-Pass Points) per person.
- If you are not satisfied with the Blast classes:
- Ask for your money back! -or-
- Repeat the Blast for free!
- We must ensure a quorum.
- Personal attention to each dancer means we must limit attendance to a small group.
- Therefore, RSVPs are REQUIRED.
Learning a complex activity like square dancing, at any level, by taking classes just once a week is not efficient. It's slow and you forget too much between classes. Not all students attend all classes. A lot of time is spent reteaching material. The students are often under continual stress. They are still trying to master the calls from previous weeks while still being required to stuff new definitions, formations and concepts into their heads. Square dancing, especially dancing Advanced, requires superb skills of spatial awareness and confidence with call definitions. These skills take time to master.
A "beginner's mind" can learn a lot all at once. Remember how many brand new concepts and calls you learned at your very first introduction to square dance? Learning an entire dance program, like Advanced, is really a question about getting the new material to "stick" and become natural to you.
Therefore, we believe it is efficient to learn via a series of Blast classes. After each Blast, you will just *dance* on Wednesday nights, of course with review as needed. Without trying to constantly learn new calls every week, you can concentrate on really learning and becoming confident with one set of calls. And besides, you'll be dancing, and that's more fun and less stressful.
Once the new calls become natural, your "beginner's mind" will be reset, and the group can decide on a day for the next Blast class.
It all depends on the participants, but we expect this Blast/Dance sequence will be repeated 2 or 3 times to learn - really learn - all of Advanced.
While not required -- only you will know -- we recommend that students take the DWC Advanced Blasts a second time through for a more solid foundation. Often things become more clear when presented the same material a second time. Besides, helping to angel the next group of Advanced dancers is a great way to "pay it forward."
Besides dancing with us on Wednesday nights, we expect that you will want to dance Advanced at local special dances, festivals and conventions. Also there are other local groups and clubs that dance Advanced: Mondays (Crash Test Dancers in Raleigh), Wednesdays (Firehouse Squares in Chapel Hill), and Fridays (Model A's in Greensboro).
Learn and dance Advanced with us and you'll soon be joining this extra square dance fun.