Dance With Confidence
In these small-group weekly workshops, we teach dancers the call definitions and the strategies and tactics to dance CONFIDENTLY to any caller or choreography (Standard, APD, and DBD).
- Have FUN!
- Polish your dancing skills.
- Dance smarter.
- Dance more confidently.
See the bottom of this webpage for the philosophy behind Dance With Confidence.
If you have any interest whatsoever...
Contact us and get on our list. We want to hear from you
- even if you cannot start now.
- even if the current days/times are inconvenient for you. (Alternate/additional timeslots will be considered.)
- Christopher Schlitter (and Ri-Shea!)
- Schlitter home in West Cary
- 7:00-9:00 p.m. - Mondays
- No commitment. Attend whenever you want.
- We must ensure a quorum.
- Classes are personalized, and such attention to each dancer means we must limit attendance to a small group.
- Therefore, RSVPs are REQUIRED.
- This is our free service to the local square dance community.
- Your *early* RSVP is your admission ticket!
- We will occasionally host LASER BLASTs, Saturdays, 9:30-3:30 p.m.
- For convenience and fun fellowship, our Blasts are "potluck" (snacks/lunch)
- Like a LASER, our BLASTS will be tightly focused on you. You'll learn a lot, but you won't be overwhelmed.
- Cost is $15.00 (or 3 Multi-Pass Points) per person. Because of the focus, participation is very limited. A paid RSVP will secure your spot.
- If you want to get on the list for future Blast events, email us!
- If you have have a group of friends (a square) who would like to work on certain calls or techniques, contact us and we will customize a Blast just for you!
ADVANCED CLASS and DANCES
- For those interested, we also offer Advanced (A1/A2) Classes (via Blasts) and weekly Dance Nights.
- Learning Advanced, whether you intend to dance it or not, will improve your Mainstream/Plus.
DANCE WITH CONFIDENCE PHILOSOPHY
We emphasize square dance fundamentals. No matter the program -- MS, Plus, A, or C -- all calls are built on fundamentals. If your fundamentals are weak, your learning load is great, and you'll need to have years and years of experience of dancing all of the calls from myriads of positions in order to develop the "muscle memory" to ever dance confidently. For the average Plus dancer, with a repertoire of 97 calls, this can be a daunting undertaking. It's very hard even with Mainstream's 68 calls!
However, with solid fundamentals, you can short-circuit the path to confidence. Calls become easier to learn, and new formations and positions no longer are such a big stumbling block. You won't get "lost" -- as often. You are human, after all, so you'll still make some mistakes, but when you Dance With Confidence, you can often recover before anyone even notices! Your reaction time, from hearing the call to beginning execution, will shorten.
Besides the fundamentals you need as an individual dancer, there are strategies and tactics of dancing as a team that most dancers never learn. At the Dance With Confidence workshops, you will learn the fundamentals, strategies, and tactics that the average club just does not have the time or resources to teach during classes or club dance. Clubs place emphasis on dance: teaching new dancers as quickly as possible so that they may join the fun with "experienced" dancers. However, dancers have to experience a LOT of dance before they become confident even within their own club with their familiar caller and choreography. Dancing confidently at other venues to other callers with unknown choreography takes a lot, lot more "experience." At Dance With Confidence, we aim to greatly shorten this cycle of experience.
Muscle memory is good, but it can take years and years and years to gain all the muscle memory you need. And even then, when confronted with something new, you won't have muscle memory to help you. You need to dance smarter.
Join us today! Dance With Confidence!